Friday, September 18, 2009

Another Late Night


It's 12:17 am. I know in some households this is a regular bedtime. But for my adult pre-sick life bedtime was ten and now it's 8:30. Not that lights are out at 8:30 but I am in bed relaxing.

However, the 8:30 window slipped right by me tonight as I was helping Harry with homework. Then I wanted to visit with Luke a little as we are making some discipline changes with our kids and our spending. And lost the window of going to bed when tired, not even a sleeping pill can help you after a second wind and a major headache.

So on to the new disciplines, I have read off and on Dave Ramsey's books and had just begun to try the snowball when I was initially diagnosed with the cancer so our finances went spiraling out of control again as our primary bookkeeper, me, could have cared less about retiring debt as I lay unwilling to move after back surgery, unwilling to think during radiation, and unable to process information during chemo (chemo messes with the thought processes of your brain, something they don't tell you pre-chemo.) So I'm giving it another go. This weekend it is a balanced budget (we are going to consolidate some date, Dave don't hate me) but it makes the paying of the bills in a limited window (when I'm healthy and feeling like my brain is working well enough to add and subtract) so much easier if I only have to worry about one check. Our goal is to live on Luke's regular pay, and put his overtime and my piano lessons and babysitting to debit retirement as much as we can. As you can see I'm still crunching the numbers.

Our other discipline is the kids and how much electronic time they receive each day. Luke wants me to make coupons for the kids that represent their electronic time. I hope this works we really need to get into a regular routine of life. I would just like them to get their stuff done like chores, homework, rooms, instruments, and family time. Is that too much to ask? We really need a day of rain to just get my kids inside and clean their rooms. :P

Had chemo today and a flu shot. It all seemed to go well. I saw my doctor's partner and he had the same opinion about my numbers and results that I seem to be stable. My numbers are still high, too high to quit chemo, but stable. This chemo is a nasty one I have heard but I am taking it at a very low dose each week and the only side effect that I can't really do anything about is the fatigue. No amount of rest makes up for the fatigue of chemo. There is one other but it is short lived each week. They have found that if you suck on ice while receiving the chemo you tend not to get so many mouth sores. It's hard for me as I have very cold sensitive teeth. but it must be true as I have only had one mouth sore and it was very much like a canker sore. I do have to be careful about hot or spicy foods the first two days after chemo, which is a trick because if I'm going to crave Mexican it's on chemo day. :{

No comments: